Recipe 70 – St Clements Muffins

13th May 2012


Have had a break from Mary Berry’s Bible this last week.  I think the children were getting a bit fed up with some of the cakes, (a lot of them are very similar) and having recently bought Miranda Gore Browne’s ‘Biscuit’ book, I thought I would bake from that instead, together with a couple of recipes from the Good Food magazine.  Now that these had all been eaten and my husband reminded me that all the cake tins were now empty, I thought it time to get back to the ‘Bible’.


The St Clements Muffins had caught my eye the other week, but I must admit I had some doubt about baking them.  The other two muffin recipes in the book were not, in my opinion that successful.  Don’t get me wrong, they tasted wonderful, they just didn’t rise as much as I thought they would.  I think this is a problem when you already have a good recipe for something (which I do have for muffins) and when you do try something else, they don’t turn out quite as good.


Anyway, these sounded lovely, just like the rhyme, “Oranges and Lemons”.


The oven was put on and a 12 hole muffin tray was lined with muffin cases. I must admit I do have doubts about using muffin cases in Mary’s muffin recipes, so I removed 6 and replaced them with cupcake cases.  I thought I’d do a mix and see how they all turned out.


The first thing Mary says to do is to take a whole orange and cut it into chunks.  I did have to read this quite a few times, it was the whole orange I needed wasn’t it and not a peeled orange.  It was indeed the whole orange, so this was chopped up, the pips removed and it was then blitzed in the food processor until finely chopped.  I do love the smell of oranges!


Next it was a case of putting the remaining ingredients into a bowl, so on top of the orange went the grated rind of a lemon, the caster sugar (a quick trip to the supermarket earlier this afternoon to purchase some as I had very little left), a large egg, milk, melted butter, baking powder and self raising flower.  These were then beaten quickly until they were just mixed.  Next it was to gently stir in the orange.  Whoops, I really should read the recipes first – my ingredients had all been put on top of the orange and mixed in at the beginning!


The mixture then had to be spooned into the cases, filling them almost to the top.  After filling 6 muffin cases with the mixture, I was glad I had swapped the other six cases for smaller cases, as I had just enough mixture left to fill these nearly to the top.


Into the oven then went for 20 minutes.  After this time, both appeared to be cooked, being well risen, golden and firm to the touch.  They were left in the tin for a few minutes and then turned out onto a cooling rack.  Once cooled they were sprinkled with icing sugar.


The result, they did rise, but again not as much as my recipe for muffins.  Taste wise, they were lovely and incredibly light.  The orange overpowered the lemon and you couldn’t really taste it, but they were very refreshing.  I don’t think they’ll be around for long!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s