Recipe 30 – Sultana Malt Loaves

29th January 2012

Recipe 30 – I can’t believe I am already at 30.  That’s quite a few cakes we’ve eaten recently!

Right, boys packed off to rugby, daughter still asleep (no she’s not a baby – she’s 16).

After yet another trip to Lakeland yesterday, I just had to buy two 1lb loaf tins.  I knew there were some recipes that needed them in the book and I also wanted to try Mary’s Banana & Chocolate Chip Loaf as baked on the Celebrity British Bake Off – well that’s my excuse anyway.  The tins looked so tiny sat next to my big 2lb tin!

Oven preheated, tins greased and bottoms lined.

First off, measure the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a bowl.  Next add the sultanas.  Big discovery, not only do my children like chocolate chips, they also like sultanas – well I think it might have been me this time.

Ok, a quick trip into town.  Luckily we only live 5 minutes away from the town centre – and also 5 minutes away from the countryside – so we have the best of both worlds!  Quick walk, to find the shops aren’t open yet.  What – it’s only 10.10am, most of the shops don’t open until 10.30 am – more time to wait.  At least WH Smiths was open, so I could browse through yet more cookery books.  There was a biscuit book that caught my eye, together with one of the Hummingbird books – but I resisted – I do NOT need any more baking books at the moment!!

Anyway, 10.30 came so into the supermarket – where are the sultanas – I found figs, apricots, currants, prunes, but no sultanas.  Aaargh the loaf was going to be a failure before it started.  Thank goodness for M&S next door, they had sultanas and I also remembered to get a box of the cereal that my son loves so much.

Quick walk back home, sultanas weighed out and mixed into the other dry ingredients.

Next I had to heat the sugar, malt extract (not found in any of our local supermarkets, but found in the health store) and black treacle together.  Once they had all melted and mixed together, this was poured into the dry ingredients, along with 2 beaten eggs and 150m strained cold black tea (something that I remembered just before I went to bed last night).  Mixed well until smooth.  The mixture was very runny, so was easily poured into the two loaf tins.  No need to level the tops out on these.

Into the oven for about an hour, at which time they were well risen and firm to the touch.  Again you had to leave them to cool for 10 minutes in the tins and them turn out and remove the parchment.

Mary says to keep the loaves for two days before eating.  TWO days – so after they had cooled I hid them away so nobody could eat them.  

So today is day 2, one of the reasons for not writing the blog beforehand as I wanted a picture of the loaf once it had been cut (the second loaf I had given to my parents – stating it was not to be touched for 2 days!).  As soon as you took the lid off the tin the smell that came out was that of a famous Malt Loaf readily available in shops and it also tasted very similar too.  I’m not normally a fan of butter, but this tasted lovely with lashing and lashings of butter on top!  Yum!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s